Conducting a Needs Assessment
This is the third course in the 11-part series of Building a Community-Based Palliative Care Program. You can take this single course or the entire series.
Are you confident that you understand the specific palliative care needs of people in your community? Have you asked local hospitals, physician practices, community organizations, and payers how they think palliative care could benefit their organizations?
A needs assessment is a systematic approach to gathering information that describes, in detail, the needs of a population or community. The data gathered during a needs assessment allows you to build a program that meets the needs of the population you want to serve, and is financially viable given the size of your target population.
The purpose of this course is to provide you with a detailed process your organization can follow to conduct a palliative care needs assessment. Using the data from the needs assessment, you will be able to develop a comprehensive understanding of the specific palliative care needs in your community. You will be given the tools and strategies to help you conduct the assessment and present your findings to your leadership and stakeholders.
What You’ll Learn
- Affirm that the population you hope to serve is interested in the services you hope to offer
- Discover more about the needs you’ve identified and uncover additional needs
- Learn about related programs or services offered in your community
- Identify referral sources for the program
- Use the data gathered to gain support from stakeholders and potential partners
- Design programs strategically based upon data, rather than anecdotal reports
What You’ll Earn
- Identify key stakeholders to involve in a palliative care needs assessment
- Utilize strategies to describe palliative care needs in your community
- Determine the extent of palliative care services available in your community
- Evaluate your organization’s capacity to deliver palliative care
- Develop a strategy for presenting needs assessment data
Buy the Building a Community-Based Palliative Care Program series for $1495. Learn more.
- Kathy Brandt, MS
- Helen B. McNeal
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. You will have 90 days to access this course from the date of purchase. No refunds are given for self-paced courses.