Advanced Practice RN Certificate in Palliative Care
This online program has been developed specifically for the CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care by nationally recognized palliative care and hospice nursing experts as well as specialists in the fields of oncology, cardiology, nutrition, interdisciplinary practice, complementary and alternative therapies, chaplaincy, and more. The instructors include nursing and health professionals currently working in palliative care who understand the challenges you face and are committed to your success.
“Whether you are an experienced hospice and palliative care nurse or are just looking into the field, this course is a great way to bring all the concepts around palliative care together. [It’s] filled with up-to-date information that allows the group to discuss their experiences and share questions in a productive manner. Since our course, I have been able to use the information gleaned to add to the clinical expertise of our residents and nurses.”
Diana Jaquez RN, MSN, OCN, CHPN Clinical Manager Palliative Care Services Community Memorial Hospital Ventura Care Partners
What You’ll Learn
This rigorous course covers more than 80 different content areas to help you to:
What You’ll Earn
The Advanced Practice RN Certificate in Palliative Care is an online program that puts you on the path to becoming an expert in palliative care. Along with your industry-recognized certificate, you’ll receive an in-depth examination of a broad range of current topics in this growing field – all in working partnership with experienced palliative care nursing experts.
Get the Brochure!
The APRN Certificate in Palliative Care program curriculum includes course materials on:
- Foundational aspects of palliative nursing including: domains, protocols, communication fundamentals, interdisciplinary team functions, and the overall role of the APRN
- Whole-person assessment
- Serious and chronic illness care from a holistic, patient-centered perspective, incorporating all aspects of physical, psychosocial, emotional and spiritual care as well as state of the art complementary and alternative therapies
- Fundamental and advanced communication skills and their practical application
- Palliative care ethical issues and perspectives as well as the legal aspects of care
- Leadership skills for advanced practice nurses including relationship and team building
- Cultural competencies and working with special populations in all palliative care settings
- Pediatric palliative care and the special issues related to the care of children
- Complementary and alternative therapies – their role and application
Dahlin, C., Coyne, P.J., & Ferrell, B.R. (Eds). (2016). Advanced practice palliative nursing. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
McPherson, M. L. (2018). Demystifying opioid conversion calculations: A guide to effective dosing, 2ndEdition. Bethesda, MD: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
Supplementary Course Resources (Suggested)
Cherney, N., Fallon, M., Kaasa, S., Portenoy, R.K., & Currow, D.C. (Eds.). (2015). Oxford textbook of palliative medicine (5th ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Dahlin, C., Coyne, P.J., & Ferrell, B.R. (Eds.) (2016). Clinical pocket guide to advanced practice palliative nursing. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Ferrell, B. R., Coyle, N., & Paice, J. (Eds.). (2015). Oxford textbook of palliative nursing (4th ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Contact Us About This Course
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. You will have 90 days to access this course from the date of purchase. No refunds are given for self-paced courses.