Palliative Care Skills for Health Social Workers
Every day social workers and counselors work with clients whose long-term suffering, whether from physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual distress, is deeply affecting their quality of life. Families and loved ones may be affected as well.
Transform your career and gain new skills with this recently updated course from CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care. Conducted in a cohort, students enrolled in this course are led by an expert instructor, and have the opportunity to meet and interact with peers and colleagues from all over the nation and in widely diverse practice settings.
What You’ll Learn
- Learn to effectively support individuals experiencing serious or chronic illness
- Explore strategies in working with a multidisciplinary care team.
- Use critical thinking and problem solving in the context of palliative care
- Perform palliative psychosocial assessments
- Discuss the social worker and counselor’s contributions to pain and symptom management
- Develop person-centered palliative care plans
- Improve communications between the patient/family and care team
- Navigate common ethical concerns in working with death and dying.
CE CREDITS: 48 Hours
Have a question about this course? Contact Us
What You’ll Earn
- 48 continuing education (CE) credits provided through California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) Extended Learning, accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Get the Brochure!
This Instructor-led, online course allows you to work on your own schedule each week with recorded lectures, readings, discussions, case studies, and quizzes. Time commitment should be approximately 6-8 hours per week.
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. For instructor-led courses, to quality for a refund, you must request your cancellation in writing at least five (5) business days prior to the start of the course. If approved, there will be a $35 administrative fee charged to process the refund.