Communication and Advance Care Planning
Effective communication skills are essential to quality healthcare, and especially crucial for providers caring for patients with chronic disease. This course delivers strategies for improving communication with patients and families, while reducing barriers to effective communication about diagnosis, prognosis and serious illness.
This curriculum also includes in-depth instruction in advance care planning, advance directives, and other tools that help ensure patients have the defining voice in their own healthcare decisions. You will learn how to build advance care planning into your primary care practice, how to incorporate evidence-based techniques for conducting difficult conversations, and how to utilize legally binding forms to aid in documentation.
What You’ll Learn
- Barriers to effective communication
- Strategies for eliciting important information
- Open-ended and closed-end inquiry
- Motivational interviewing
- Informed decision-making and shared decision-making
- Exploring competency and capacity
- Identifying goals of care
- Advance directives
- Advance care planning
- Discussing and documenting advance care planning
- Discussing prognosis and changes in prognosis
- The SPIKES model for sharing serious news
Buy the Primary Palliative Care Skills series for $999. Learn more.
What You’ll Earn
- Apply various techniques to carry out discussions with patients and families about palliative care
- Utilize strategies and methods for Identifying and setting patient goals
- Overcome barriers to communication
- Identify opportunities to introduce advance care planning, and complete advance care planning forms
- Understand and apply appropriate communication models for sharing serious news
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. You will have 90 days to access this course from the date of purchase. No refunds are given for self-paced courses.