Integrating Advance Care Planning into Your Medical Practice
Advance care planning conversations help patients consider and document the treatment choices they would make if they could no longer speak for themselves. Such conversations should be a routine part of healthcare, but guiding patients through them takes skill, intention and a framework of support.
That’s what you’ll find in Integrating Advance Care Planning into Your Medical Practice, an interactive and convenient online course that lays out the benefits and potential blueprints for making advance care planning an integral and effective part of any practice.
This online, self-paced curriculum shows you how to evaluate your current advance care planning efforts; how to develop a framework for integrating advance care planning; how to understand all documentation and billing requirements; how to educate your staff in advance care planning; and how to fully implement an advance care planning program.
This course is part of the Effective Advance Care Planning: Skill Building for Everyone series. Learn more and get the Advance Care Planning guide.
What You’ll Learn
- The process of integrating advance care planning into a medical practice
- The documentation requirements needed to bill for advance care planning under Medicare
- How to develop an education plan specific to both clinical and office staff
- How to execute a plan to make advance care planning a routine part of workflow
What You’ll Earn
1 continuing education (CE) credit approved by the following accreditation bodies:
- CEs are provided through California State University San Marcos, accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- The Doctors Company designates this activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of The Doctors Company and California State University Shiley Institute for Palliative Care. The Doctors Company is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Join the Interest List!
The Coalition for Compassionate Care of California in partnership with The California State University Shiley Institute for Palliative Care created Building Engagement with Advance Care Planning to promulgate strategies, methods, and tools to engage the public and healthcare organizations effectively in advance care planning.
- Judy Thomas, JD
- Lael C. Duncan, MD
- Shirley Otis-Green, MSW, ACSW, OSW-C
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. You will have 90 days to access this course from the date of purchase. No refunds are given for self-paced courses.