Essentials of Palliative Care Chaplaincy
As a chaplain, religious leader, or health care professional, you help to weave a tapestry of meaning out of the frayed strands of loss, illness and change. While holding hearts steady in an environment beset with complex treatment choices, limited time, and increasing regulatory and financial pressures, employ skill to support peers and colleagues.
The 8-week Essentials of Palliative Care Chaplaincy certifies your work in activities designed to enhance learning through question/answer sessions, interactive case studies, engaged small group cohort sharing, journaling exercises, opportunities for students to apply knowledge in virtual palliative care contexts, and the ability to interact with the other participants and the instructor in an online community.
“This type of training being provided by the Institute equips you for what we call follow-up visits or ongoing care and it also helps you utilize spiritual assessment tools that will help you really understand what this family needs at this particular time.”
Carlos R. Bell, Past President ACPE
What You’ll Learn
Get the Brochure!
“The CSU program is meeting what I would call a hunger among our colleagues…”
Trace Haythorn, PhD, Executive Director/CEO ACP
What You’ll Earn
- Spiritual Care as Meaning-Making
- Engaging Positive & Negative Religious & Spiritual Coping
- Medical Decision-Making and Advance Directives
- Care of Groups and Family Systems
- Addressing Spiritual and Existential Suffering
- Palliative Care Chaplain as an Inspirational Leader, Educator and Advocate
- Professional Competencies for Palliative Care Chaplaincy
- Spiritual Care Assessment, Care Plan, Interventions and Outcomes
- Grief, Emotional Distress and Mental Health
- Supporting Patient Goals and Quality of Life
- Spiritual and Existential Pain, Physical Pain and Stress Management
- Palliative Care Chaplains as Facilitators of Resilience and Burnout Prevention
- Moral Resilience as a response to Moral Distress
- Palliative Care Chaplaincy Research, Ethics and Consultation
- Cultural Humility and Radical Respect for Cultural and Religious Differences
The course has been created by a team of national palliative care experts and seasoned clinicians from the field of palliative care chaplaincy in collaboration with the Association of Professional Chaplains and the CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care. Essentials of Palliative Care Chaplaincy is an instructor-led course engaged with spiritual care colleagues from chaplaincy settings across the U.S.
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. You will have 90 days to access this course from the date of purchase. No refunds are given for self-paced courses.