Essentials of Palliative Care Chaplaincy
As a chaplain, religious leader, or health care professional, you help to weave a tapestry of meaning out of the frayed strands of loss, illness and change. While holding hearts steady in an environment beset with complex treatment choices, limited time, and increasing regulatory and financial pressures, employ skill to support peers and colleagues.
The 8-week Essentials of Palliative Care Chaplaincy certifies your work in activities designed to enhance learning through question/answer sessions, interactive case studies, engaged small group cohort sharing, journaling exercises, opportunities for students to apply knowledge in virtual palliative care contexts, and the ability to interact with the other participants and the instructor in an online community.
“This type of training being provided by the Institute equips you for what we call follow-up visits or ongoing care and it also helps you utilize spiritual assessment tools that will help you really understand what this family needs at this particular time.”
Carlos R. Bell, Past President ACPE
What You’ll Learn
- Communicate palliative and end-of-life care options to help people make informed care decisions for themselves or loved ones
- Articulate the basic tenets of palliative care and the role of the palliative care chaplain as a leader on the interdisciplinary team
- Engage a full circle model of spiritual care including effective approaches to rapport building, assessment, intervention, care planning, and spiritual care outcomes
- Create and sustain programs that meet both human and institutional needs
- Analyze and construct innovative solutions for the timely delivery and reception of the multiple dimensions of palliative care, especially spiritual care, and lead in the field of palliative care chaplaincy
- Understand the importance of palliative care chaplaincy research, ethics and institutional leadership
What You’ll Earn
- 64 continuing education (CE) credits provided through California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) Extended Learning, accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and approved by the Association of Professional Chaplains.
“The CSU program is meeting what I would call a hunger among our colleagues…”
Trace Haythorn, PhD, Executive Director/CEO ACP
The course has been created by a team of national palliative care experts and seasoned clinicians from the field of palliative care chaplaincy in collaboration with the Association of Professional Chaplains and the CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care. Essentials of Palliative Care Chaplaincy is an instructor-led course engaged with spiritual care colleagues from chaplaincy settings across the U.S.
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. You will have 90 days to access this course from the date of purchase. No refunds are given for self-paced courses.
Get the Brochure!