Working With POLST
POLST stands for Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment. It is a physician order that gives patients more control over their care by specifying the types of medical treatment they want to receive during advanced serious illness. Developed in conjunction with the Coalition for Compassionate Care of California, this course is designed to help the healthcare professional understand the role and value of this document, and how to employ it in documenting and honoring patient wishes. This course provides specific details regarding POLST in California.
Studies have shown that patient wishes about care are often not known. Even when a patient has an Advance Healthcare Directive, it may not be accessible when needed. When a patient’s wishes are not known during stressful situations, confusion may arise. The POLST form may help to reduce some of that confusion when:
- The Advance Healthcare Directive (AHCD) may not be accessible
- Wishes may not be clearly defined in AHCD
- The AHCD is not a physician order
|During this self-paced course you will learn that this extremely important form allows healthcare providers to know and honor the wishes of the patient during serious illness.||
What You’ll Learn
- How to fill out the POLST form – a doctor’s order that is recognized throughout the medical system
- Prevent unwanted or medically ineffective treatment
- Reduce patient and family suffering
- Ensure that patient wishes are honored
What You’ll Earn
Continuing education credits are optional for this course. If you so choose, you’ll receive 2 continuing education (CE) credits approved by the following accreditation bodies:
- CEs are provided through California State University San Marcos, accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Get the Brochure!
|The Coalition for Compassionate Care of California has developed this course in partnership with The California State University Shiley Institute for Palliative Care.|
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. You will have 90 days to access this course from the date of purchase. No refunds are given for self-paced courses.