Advanced Practice Palliative Care Certificate for Social Workers
(formerly Post-MSW Certificate in Palliative Care)
Palliative care social workers help make sure patients with serious illnesses get compassionate, whole-person care that addresses their symptoms, reflects their healthcare wishes, and supports their families and caregivers.
This 8-month instructor-led program, newly revised and updated, gives you personalized attention and mentorship, rigorous in-depth content, and small group interaction. The depth of the learning rivals in-person clinical programs, with the convenience and flexibility of online learning.
You’ll gain expert skills in palliative care social work including how to navigate the diverse demands of the job, assess psychosocial suffering, use therapies support patients and families, and be a leader on the palliative care team.
Delivered through the Institute’s unparalleled, interactive online learning platform, this course features in-depth case studies, group discussion, and rigorous content that can be accessed anywhere, anytime.
What You’ll Learn
- Foundational aspects of palliative care social work including advanced communication strategies, interdisciplinary team functions, and the role of the palliative care social worker as a team leader
- An understanding of how values, ethics, self-awareness, critical thinking, and relationship apply to social work best practices
- Serious and chronic illness care from a holistic, patient-centered perspective, incorporating evidence-based strategies to address physical, psychosocial, emotional and spiritual suffering
- Palliative care ethical issues and perspectives
- Leadership skills for palliative care social workers including relationship and team building
- How to assess for self-improvement and develop concrete plans, processes, and strategies for growth
STARTS: April 14, 2021
CE CREDITS: 144 Hours
Have a question about this course? Contact Us
What You’ll Earn
Learners who complete this course will earn:
- 144 continuing education (CE) credits provided through California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) Extended Learning, accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- 6 continuing education credits on Ethics (included in the 144-CE total)
Completion and Refunds
For instructor-led courses, to quality for a refund, you must request your cancellation in writing at least five (5) business days prior to the start of the course. If approved, there will be a $35 administrative fee charged to process the refund. There are no refunds for self-paced courses.
Need More Information? See Our FAQ.