RN Certificate in Palliative Care
This eight-week online, instructor-led course prepares you to join palliative care teams or bring the best of palliative care to the patients you serve. The curriculum provides essential knowledge for nurses who deliver palliative nursing regardless of the setting. By the end of this course, you will be prepared to work in a palliative or hospice setting.
Course work includes activities designed to enhance learning through question/answer sessions, interactive case studies, opportunities for students to apply knowledge in virtual palliative care contexts, and the ability to interact with fellow participants in an online community cohort. You can expect to complete one module each week, with the entire program taking a total of eight weeks.
What You’ll Learn
This comprehensive course provides instruction to help you prepare for the certification including:
- Clinical manifestations, disease trajectories and prognostic indicators of advanced disease states
- Evidence-based pain assessment and care planning that takes into account the sensory, cognitive, affective, behavioral, social, cultural and spiritual components of pain
- Pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment modalities available to manage symptoms
- Ethical issues that may arise in palliative care and the application of ethical issues to support patient and provider decision making
STARTS: April 21, 2021
CE CREDITS: 64 Hours
Have a question about this course?
What You’ll Earn
For Registered Nurses who want an in-depth review to prepare for certification, this course is a great way to review and refresh your knowledge. It’s also ideal for new and experienced RNs working or hoping to work in palliative care or utilize palliative care best practices.
As palliative care expands across the country, and health systems and organizations recognize the ways that evidence-based palliative care improves patient outcomes and the organization’s bottom line, nurses trained in palliative care are able to advocate for optimal care that matches patients’ goals and alleviates suffering.
This 8-week online course is comprised of eight individual modules developed by experts in palliative care. Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Nurses (CHPN) and Advanced Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Nurses (ACHPN) will teach the program.
- Week 1: Introduction, History and Philosophy of Palliative Care
- Week 2: Common Disease States in Palliative Care
- Week 3: Pain Management Issues
- Week 4: Symptom Management Issues Part One
- Week 5: Symptom Management Issues Part Two
- Week 6: Special Populations and Settings of Care
- Week 7: Grief and Bereavement
- Week 8: Professional Practice Issues/Ethical Concerns/Self Care
Completion and Refunds
In order to complete this course and obtain a certificate, you must view the course in its entirety, correctly answer all case studies and quiz/test questions (as appropriate) and complete the evaluation. You will have 90 days to access this course from the date of purchase. No refunds are given for self-paced courses.