http://www.csupalliativecare.org Some of the most compassionate caregivers in health care today work in palliative care and hospice. Although they excel at caring for others, they quite often find themselves with little time to care for themselves. The CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care is honoring these nurses, social workers, chaplains, and other health care professionals for their round-the-clock giving with a simple gift. “The Gift” is a self-paced course that gives the professional caregiver a well-deserved chance to pause and reflect on what gives them joy in life.
“The Gift” is a course called Journey of Self-Awareness – A Palliative Care Program for Healthcare Professionals. This online program teaches professional self-awareness in the midst of challenging and stressful careers. It helps health care professionals reflect on their approach to caregiving and identify ways to balance that with self-care. This course sells for $179 but is the Institute’s gift with the purchase of any of its online courses during November.
“The course we’re giving away was created by author and palliative care expert, Judith Redwing Keyssar. Her course is ideal for those who are so good at helping others, do something nice for themselves,” said Helen McNeal, Executive Director of the Institute.
Some of the educational courses that qualify for “The Gift” include:
- Advanced Practice RN Certificate in Palliative Care
- The Business Case for Palliative Care
- Caring at a Distance
- Culturally Competent Palliative Care for Latinos
- Excellence in Interprofessional Palliative Care Documentation
- Fundamental Hospice Skills for Social Workers
- Fundamental Palliative Care Skills for Social Workers
- Mental Health Fundamentals in Spiritual Care
- Palliative Care Chaplaincy Specialty Certificate
- Post MSW Palliative Care Certificate
- RN Certificate in Palliative Care
- Working With POLST for Professionals
Learn More About “The Gift”
About the CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care
The CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care is America’s first statewide educational and workforce development initiative dedicated to palliative care. The Institute offers professional development and continuing education courses designed to enhance the skills of current and future health care professionals. It also delivers customized corporate education and community awareness programs designed to increase awareness of palliative care across California and around the nation.