Scholarships awarded to San Diego County Health Professionals
The California State University Shiley Institute for Palliative Care recently awarded $25,000 in scholarships for palliative care education to 16 health professionals in San Diego County.
The Donald and Darlene Marcos Shiley Scholarships cover the full cost of tuition in any Institute course, and are designed to expand and elevate the delivery of palliative care throughout the San Diego region.
This year, more than 40 nurses, social workers, chaplains and other health professionals applied for the scholarships. The recipients were selected in late November in honor of National Hospice and Palliative Care Month.
“It’s such a thrill for us to offer this opportunity – and we’re very grateful for the generosity of Darlene Marcos Shiley in making these awards possible,” said Jennifer Ballentine, Executive Director at the CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care. “We look forward to hearing from these students as they learn and apply their new skills to benefit patients throughout San Diego County.”
The 2017 recipients include RNs, APRNs, social workers and chaplains, working in settings that range from hospitals and hospices to mobile healthcare units.
Palliative Care Scholarship Recipients
- Tracy Abelgas of San Diego, Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital
- Angela Maria Bretton of Escondido, CVS Minute Clinic
- Cynthia Crist of Lakeside, Sharp Hospice
- Debra A. Duncan of Chula Vista, Sharp Chula Vista Emergency Department
- Rebecca Jones of San Diego, Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
- Cynthia Leon of Valley Center, Tri-City Medical Center
- Kimberly Letzring of San Diego, Palomar Medical Center
- Marie Martin of Oceanside
- Raquel Patino of San Diego, Veterans Administration Medical Center-San Diego
- Noelle Pederson of San Diego, MusicWorx Inc.
- Jeanne Phillips of San Diego, LightBridge Hospice & Palliative Care
- Stacy Rivera of Poway, The Elizabeth Hospice
- Jean-Pierre Roberts of Camp Pendleton, American Mobile Healthcare
- Elizabeth Robinson of San Diego, Scripps Memorial Hospital-La Jolla
- Chris Sikora of Carlsbad, Mission Hospice
- Jodi Varner of San Diego, Sharp Healthcare
Since 2012, the Institute’s convenient online courses have been used by individuals and healthcare organizations across the country seeking expert, engaging instruction in palliative care.