The California State University Shiley Institute for Palliative Care recently awarded $25,000 in scholarships for palliative care education to 13 San Diego area healthcare professionals in honor of National Hospice and Palliative Care Month.
The Donald and Darlene Marcos Shiley Scholarships cover the full cost of tuition in any Institute course, and are designed to expand and elevate the delivery of palliative care throughout the San Diego region.
In the past five years, the Institute has awarded 71 scholarships through the program.
“It’s an absolute joy and privilege to offer these scholarships, made possible by the generosity of Darlene Marcos Shiley,” said Jennifer Moore Ballentine, Executive Director at the CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care.
“These scholarship recipients are committed to developing new expertise in caring for people with serious illness,” Ballentine said. “We’re excited to provide them with education that will allow them to deepen their skills and ultimately improve care for the patients and families they serve.”
This year, more than 21 nurses, social workers, chaplains and other healthcare professionals who work in hospitals, health systems, and other settings across the county, applied for the scholarships.
The 2019 scholarship recipients are:
- Brittny Sullivan, BSN, RN, BMTCN, Jacobs Medical Center, UC San Diego Health
- Briana Cueva, BA, MSW, Divine Hospice
- Sara Fainstein, PhD, MPH, Self-employed
- Abigail Vera, FNP, UC San Diego Health/Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program
- Ami M. Flores, FNP-C, South County Hematology and Oncology
- Fay Salindong, RN, CM, Sharp Rees-Stealey
- Tomas Ambriz, RN, Howell Outpatient Palliative Care, UC San Diego Health
- Lisa Damron, CMC, UC San Diego Health
- Tracey Thompson, RN BSN PHN
- Cynthia C. Leon, RN, BSN, Tri-City Medical Center
- Lakeisha Nacoste, NP, UC San Diego Health
- Nerissa Abalde, MSW, Scripps Health
- Carolyn Westbrook, Certified Clinical Chaplain, Scripps Health
For more information about the CSU Shiley Institute for Palliative Care, visit csupalliativecare.org or call 760-750-4006.