Institute and Shiley Foundation Grows Palliative Care Workforce
In Celebration of National Hospice and Palliative Care Month
To celebrate National Hospice and Palliative Care month in November, the CSU Institute for Palliative Care is offering $25,000 in scholarships for palliative care education to select Southern California health professionals. Interested professionals are encouraged to apply now through the deadline of midnight November 15.
The Donald and Darlene Marcos Shiley Scholarships cover the full cost of tuition for Institute courses and are being made available to support nurses, social workers, chaplains and other health professionals serving communities in Southern California.
To be considered for a scholarship, the Institute invites healthcare professionals to complete the online application HERE.
Why is Darlene Shiley making these scholarships possible? In her own words:
“I have experienced the power of palliative care to ease the suffering for someone that I love. It eased a difficult and challenging journey for my late husband Donald – and for me. It made me realize how specialized and important the field of palliative care is, and the growing need for such care in the future.”
Courses Available to Scholarship Applicants
All of our courses are available for scholarships, but some of our most popular courses include:
- Essentials of Palliative Care Chaplaincy Certificate
- What Every Health Professional Needs to Know About Palliative Care
- Be health care workers serving communities in Southern California
- Meet the experience/licensing qualifications for course of interest (see course descriptions on website for requirements)
- Register for the course prior to June 30, 2018
- Be able to fully participate and complete the course work described
- Submit a brief letter signed by a manager, indicating their employer supports their participation in the course
- Pay for any additional books or materials (if necessary)
- Agree to follow all course requirements
There are no fees to apply for the scholarship. The scholarship award is not transferable or convertible to cash. The scholarships can be used only for course tuition through the CSU Institute for Palliative Care. All awarded applicants agree to allow the Institute to use their name and photo for communication purposes.
An independent selection committee will review the applicants’ submissions. All decisions are final. Applicants will be informed of the awards by Nov. 28, 2017.
Only one application per person is allowed. Applicants acknowledge that by submitting their application, they have opted into the Institute’s marketing emails and can opt out at any time.
Click HERE to complete the application.