$25,000 in Palliative Care Education Scholarships for San Diego County Healthcare Professionals
Scholarships Celebrate National Hospice and Palliative Care Month
To celebrate National Hospice and Palliative Care month in November, the California State University Institute for Palliative Care is pleased to announce that $25,000 in scholarships for palliative care education will be awarded to select nurses, social workers, chaplains, and other healthcare professionals working with patients and families experiencing serious or life-limiting illness in San Diego County.
These full scholarships are funded by Donald and Darlene Marcos Shiley Scholarships to provide palliative care training that can enhance care and improve quality of life for vulnerable patients and families in the San Diego region.
Deadline to apply is Nov. 8. Apply now!
To be eligible for scholarship funding, the Institute invites healthcare professionals to complete the online application.
Why is Darlene Shiley making these scholarships possible? In her own words:
“I have experienced the power of palliative care to ease the suffering for someone that I love. It eased a difficult and challenging journey for my late husband Donald – and for me. It made me realize how specialized and important the field of palliative care is, and the growing need for such care in the future.”
Courses Available to Scholarship Applicants
All of our courses are available for scholarships, but some of our most popular courses include:
- Essentials of Palliative Care Chaplaincy Certificate
- What Every Health Professional Needs to Know About Palliative Care
- Be currently working in healthcare, and seeking additional knowledge and training in palliative care
- Work in San Diego County
- Meet the experience/licensing qualifications for course of interest (see course descriptions on website for details of requirements on each course)
- Be able to begin the course during its scheduled start date prior to June 30, 2019
- Be able to fully participate and complete the course work described
- Demonstrate that they have their organization’s support to participate in their course of interest by submitting a brief letter with their manager’s signature in the application
- Describe their financial need
- Pay for any additional books or materials (if necessary)
- Agree to follow all the current course requirements for the course of interest
There are no fees to apply for the scholarship. The scholarship award is not transferable or convertible to cash. The awarded scholarships can be used exclusively for course tuition only. All awarded applicants agree to allow the Institute to use their name and photo for communication purposes. An independent selection committee will review the applicants’ submissions. All decisions are final. Applicants will be informed of the awards by Nov. 28, 2018. Only one application per person is allowed. Applicants acknowledge that by submitting their application, they have opted into the Institute’s marketing emails and can opt out at any time.