Institute and Shiley Foundation Grows Palliative Care Workforce
In Celebration of National Hospice and Palliative Care Month
Funding has not been announced for scholarships in 2017 at this point. If funding becomes available, it is usually announced in October.
Past celebration of National Hospice and Palliative Care month for the California State University Institute for Palliative Care and Shiley Scholarships have bolstered the education for professionals seeking palliative care education. Nearly $50,000 in scholarships have been awarded to Southern California nurses, social workers, chaplains, and other health professionals. These full scholarships were funded by Darlene Marcos Shiley of the Shiley Foundation to support palliative care teams to better serve the communities of Southern California.
I have experienced the power of palliative care to ease the suffering for someone that I love. It eased a difficult and challenging journey for my late husband Donald – and for me. It made me realize how specialized and important the field of palliative care is, and the growing need for such care in the future.Darlene Shiley
To be eligible for scholarship funding, the Institute invited healthcare professionals to submit an essay describing why they need this education and how they will use it to improve the care delivered to the people they serve. Recipients received notice of their awards following November, with the evaluations of applications having been performed by a panel of faculty and professionals.
Any program the Institute offers has been eligible for funding, however, some of the more frequently requested courses were:
Palliative Care Nursing
Palliative Care Social Work
- Post-MSW Palliative Care Certificate
- Critical Palliative Care Skills for Social Workers
- Applying Motivational Interviewing in Palliative Care
Applicants were asked to demonstrate evidence of:
- Currently working in palliative care
- Living and working in Southern California
- Meeting the experience/licensing qualifications for course of interest (see course descriptions on website for details of requirements on each course)
- Ability to begin the course during its scheduled start date
- Ability to fully participate and complete the course work described
- Demonstrating that they have their organization’s support to participate in their course of interest by submitting brief letter with their manager’s signature in the application
Granting of future scholarships is dependent upon funding but please sign up on an interest list for your choice of course or discipline to receive future scholarship notices if funding is received.
To learn more about Institute educational programs, click HERE.